As I was preparing to leave the Pacific Northwest in 2013, I noticed the beauty of the landscape with the acute sense of appreciation that I often feel during “good-bye’s.” I pledged to try to arrive in each new landscape with a tenacious ability to value the beauty from the beginning rather than the end.
As we traveled through Europe, I kept a journal of all the beautiful moments I appreciated. Here are some memories I will always carry with me:
- In London: the lazy haze over Hyde Park early on a Sunday morning.
- On a Tuscan evening: the smoky sweetness of olive wood burning.
- In Prague: the lights that came on slowly and lazily as the antique street lamps cast a buttery glow over the cobblestones.
- On the Sunshine Coast of Spain: the perfume of the hibiscus that had basked in the sunlight all day.
- In Malta: the luminescent quality of the Mediterranean when the moon began to rise.
- In France: the smell of a Parisian sidewalk after a spring rain.
- In the Black Forest in Germany: shadows dancing in ways that blurred the darkness and the light.
- On the Portuguese coast: the waves that seemed to be angry at the shore, pounding on their approach and retreat.
- In Holland: the gentle way the rain fell in the canals as if they were well acquainted
- Crossing the Alps in France and Italy: feeling the power of nature and the majesty that made us feel small in the best way.
- In Bruges, Belgium: the view of the quilted, lush countryside from the bell tower
- In Slovenia: the absolute quiet, reflective, and ancient Lake Bohijn
- The Danish Countryside: with the sweet hay of summer’s end and the foggy beginnings of fall converging on the fields simultaneously.
- The Swedish archipelago: with its pristine red and white lighthouses, capping mossy green rocks, lulled by gentle whitecaps.
- In Austria: stately cities protected by noble mountains in cloaks of green covered with hikers that appeared to always know the way.
- In Ireland: the way the rain chased the people away so we were alone on the misty dormant cliffs.
Europe is now a part of me. There is too much gratitude to share from my journal which is exactly what I hoped would happen. I am excited to have volumes of appreciation for the natural beauty we encounter as our journey continues.
Today, you can deliberately recall beautiful images from nature … CLICK HERE to subscribe to the Daily Livit and receive reminders for living more deliberately.
Do you dare to share Livology? We would really appreciate it. Thank you for growing with us!