A secret’s worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept. ― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
The last time I visited Cape Cod, I was on a business trip and needed to get from meeting to meeting quickly. I traveled on Route 6 and saw very little of the magic that lingers just off the main road in either direction. I did see a few beautiful beaches and went on a company chartered whale watching excursion. I did not, however, understand the depth of beauty, whimsy and history that makes Cape Cod so incredible until last week.
- I love the way towns like Sandwich, Barnstable, and Brewster just pop from acres of green as if they didn’t know I was coming. They are perfect, historic towns without feeling too coiffed or manicured. There is a sense of humor peeking from under the graceful eaves of the proud homes.
- I love the way cafes are hidden like treasures tucked in general stores and book shops that sit in fabled buildings with porches of gentle rocking chairs.
- I love the way neighbors offered us kayaks and wood for beach fires after knowing us only for a moment.
- I love the intimate secrets unassuming fisherman shared with my children. Not only did people tell us the best spots and times to fish but they shared bait, lures, and fishing stories as we all waited for the tide to turn.
- I love the way stores selling ice cream and penny candy sometimes have a tire swing out back.
- I love how the spring rain smells on a snaking trail through a verdant marsh
- I love the way people gathered around the ruddy glow of a bonfire on the seashore to tell stories of a long winter.
- I love the fact that when people asked us where we were from, and where we are going, there was an authenticity that told me they already knew.
Mostly, I love that this trip was one of discovery. The secrets were here all along just waiting for me to embrace the adventure.
Today, you can be deliberate in your hunt for beauty … CLICK HERE to subscribe to the Daily Livit and receive reminders for living more deliberately.
Do you dare to share Livology? We would really appreciate it. Thank you for growing with us!